Alumni will have a chance to roll up their sleeves and once again prep the campus for new and returning students during Social Service Weekend (SSW). Over the past few months, our team has communicated a continued desire to help get the campus ready for new and returning students; and, with special thanks to John Allen (‘98), Chief of Staff at LSMSA, we will be able to continue the tradition -- albeit in a scaled back fashion.
For the safety of volunteers, the Natchitoches community, and the state at large, the following changes will be implemented for SSW 2020:
- While the name “Social Service Weekend,” or SSW, is still being used, this year our presence on campus will be limited to one day only: Saturday, August 1, 2020.
- Neither Prudhomme nor Caddo Residence Halls will be available for overnight accommodations or social gatherings, as the introduction of new germs to the LSMSA environment from across multiple states is unwise at this time. The SSW team is working with hotels to find rates that are affordable. More information to come for overnight accommodations.
- No children under 15 years of age will be allowed. Any teenagers in attendance for SSW must have had their 15th birthday on or before August 1, 2020. We are also unable to provide childcare this year. Any adult or teenager in attendance is expected to work.
The Social Service Weekend details, as of the time of e-Praecellemus publication:
- Date: Saturday, August 1, 2020 (one day only)
- Time: TBD
- Meeting Location: TBD
- Registration for SSW will be made available in mid-July along with a task list.
- Group Rates for the Overnight Accommodation will be published soon.
- The daily cost for the August 1 workday will be $15 per person, to cover breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- This year it’s BYOM - Bring Your Own Masks. While we will follow the local and state orders on social distancing, we ask that you come prepared with the appropriate personal protective equipment (masks, gloves, and hand sanitizer).
- Shirts: This year the SSW planners have chosen to use the Men’s Short Sleeve Navy shirt with Full Color Crest (Item #6-33-QT1001E) from SHOP.LSMSA.EDU, where a percentage of the proceeds go to the LSMSA Foundation. The selected shirt for SSW 2020 is on sale from 6.2.20 - 6.30.20, so click here and order your shirt today!
The SSW Team kindly asks for the Alumni Association Community to consider the exceptional challenges that the administration, faculty and staff, and students are facing in preparing for a school year that will look different from years past. While the structure of this year’s SSW is radically different, our intent is still the same: to show the administration our support and ability to help the campus community prepare for rigorous learning in the fall.